The Arboretum originally part of the property called the Quinta the name of which comes frm the Portuguese and means 'a country house'.In 1948 Bernard and Joyce were looking for a property and found the house up for auction that day,it was duly purchased and shortly after the now Lovell Quinta Arboretum came into being.
Development took place over a number of years with land being acquired to extend the site.Sir Bernard's aim was to collect one example of every tree and shrub listed in the then5 volumes of'Bean' that would grow and flourishin Cheshire.During the development alake was excavated and lined with 'puddled clay'to form an important landscape feature. Part of the deign included avenues and groves to enhance the display.During the establisment plants were presented,donatedand sourced from a wide range,a number being used as features to mark major events in Sir Bernard's life.He was also meticulous in keeping records including hand drawn plans and a card index for each plant.Some 15 years ago all the records were computerised onto Arboretum DB a specialist programme sold through Pear Technology Services.
As honours and awards recognised his achievements in the then new science of radio astronomy, additional areas and plantings were developed to commemorate these events in his life and today the honours and achievements of Professor Sir Bernard Lovell, Fellow of the Royal Society, are marked by the names of grassy avenues and glades. His great radio telescope at Jodrell Bank can be glimpsed from the arboretum through the trees which he planted.